Friday, 19 April 2013

How Fifty Shades of Grey Inspired Me


50ShadesofGreyCoverArt.jpg
If you’re a romance reader, then you have more than likely readFifty Shades of Grey in the past year. Hey, even if you’re not a romance reader you’ve probably read the entire series. Why were we all drawn so those books? The obvious answer is the erotic sex scenes, but I would argue that is only part of the answer.

There have been many Fifty Shades copycats that have been released and have made the best seller lists, but for me they’ve missed their mark. These copycats are filled with heroes that are dark and tortured. Sometimes they’re even cruel to the heroine which by the way doesn’t sit well with me. Come on guys, Christian was never like that!

The copycats have overlooked something essential about Christian Grey. Ironically, in a novel centered on BDSM, our hero was incredibly tender with a great sense of humor. I know, I know. You’re thinking about the time Christian spanked Anna so hard that she left him. Well, let you remind you that Anna was supposed to use her safe word when things were too much for her and Christian was horrified that she hadn’t. So admittedly we all loved the explicit sex in the book, but I have to tell you that some of my favorite parts of the trilogy were the teasing emails between Anna and Christian. This gentle and funny side balanced his dark past. I believe that it was this side of Christian that endeared him to us as readers.

So how did this inspire me? Don’t worry I’m not going to jump on the Fifty Shade bandwagon, it's all ready a little crowded there. What I've come to relealize was that I like my heroes with a sense of humor as much as l like them hot in bed. So as I write, I am working at developing characters that don’t have tortured pasts, but instead are normal well-adjusted people with great senses of humor. Oh yeah and who just happen to love hot and dirty sex. So it’s my goal to bring to readers stories that have fun exciting plots, laughter and explicit love scenes. What I believe will be the perfect blend of contemporary romance, suspense and erotica.

Coming soon my upcoming book Trust Me has a FBI agent as a hero who knows how to make the heroine laugh as well as moan.

3 comments:

  1. I m excited for the Fifty Shades of Grey movie. and i watch your work it is pretty awesome to see on the screen Fifty Shades Of Grey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish robert pettinson would cast as christian... and am also excited to see this book on reel.
    The Movie Fifty Shades Of Grey

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Movie Fifty shades of grey
    Awesome book Fifty shades of grey Thanks for book E L James waiting for movie....

    ReplyDelete